10 Amazing Facts about Your Baby
Babies oh babies, they may be small and fragile, but there are some amazing facts about them that may leave your mouth wide open.
We have collected 10 fascinating facts about babies that will make you appreciate the miracle of life that much more.
1. From the first moment of conception to the moment of birth, a baby’s weight increases 3,000,000,000 times, that is, from a fertilized egg to a screaming and kicking little human!
2. The growing doesn’t stop there, if an average sized baby continues to grow at the same rate as he or she does in the first year, by the time he or she reaches 20, we would be looking at a giant 25ft tall and over 300lbs in weight!
3. Babies get Kings’ treatment when they are inside their mothers wombs. The nutrients from food are transported to them first through the umbilical cord, once they are satisfied, the rest is left for the mom.
4. Babies have about 30,000 taste buds, and they are not just on the tongue but also on the sides, back and the roof of the mouth. In comparison, adults have only 10,000 of those, no wonder why sometimes feeding a little one can be the hardest struggle in the world!
5. Babies are born without knee caps. Yes, technically they are only born with a structure of cartilage that resembles knee caps. The real knee caps don’t get fully developed until after 6 months.
6. Is your newborn a holler upon birth? Well, in fact, a newborn baby can never cry because they can’t create tears until they are three weeks old, and it is not unusual for babies the shed their first tears well into their fourth or fifth month.
7. Proportionally speaking, a baby’s head is huge, as it is about 1/4 of the total body length, while an adult’s head is 1/7-1/8 of the full body length.
8. Human babies are the only primates who smile at their parents.
9. Newborns are known for having poor sight, but their hearing ability is very well developed. They are already familiar with the sound of the outside world while they are still inside their mothers, and can identify where a sound is coming from just 10 minutes after being born.
10. Try swallow and breath at the same time now, and you won’t be able to do it. However, a baby can do this up until 7 months old. This is evolution’s clever way of allowing a baby to swallow the milk and breath at the same time.
Mom365, “21Awesome Facts About Your Baby”, available at <http://www.mom365.com/baby/baby-development/21-awesome-facts-about-your-baby/>, accessed on Feb 14 2017
Online Nurse Practitioner Schools, “40 Truly Amazing Facts About Babies”, available at <http://onlinenursepractitionerschools.com/40-truly-amazing-facts-about-babies/>, accessed on Feb 14 2017